Real Estate Lawyer Cornwall

Hiring a remote real estate lawyer in Cornwall makes it easy and affordable to buy a home or land in Ontario. You never have to travel to reach us. Our professional real estate lawyer in Cornwall is as near as your home computer, or any compatible mobile device. If you’ve never used a virtual Cornwall real estate lawyer before, we show you how. Axess Law makes real estate transactions go quicker for less.

Buying a Real Estate Property in Cornwall

Our Vision

Video conference with our Cornwall real estate lawyer when you purchase land or investment properties in Ontario. Completion dates for the purchase of a resale home are legally binding obligations. You could be liable for the seller’s expenses, or even lose your good faith deposit altogether, if you are unable to meet completion deadlines. Your Axess Law real estate lawyer in Cornwall negotiates to amend the agreement of purchase and sale when the unforeseen happens.

Selling a Real Estate Property in Cornwall

Fine print in your agreement of purchase and sale can trip you up. Before or after you sign a legally binding offer to purchase, bring your contract to an Axess Law Cornwall real estate lawyer. Our professional real estate lawyer in Cornwall goes over clauses that could affect what happens to deposits if a sale falls through. We amend agreements of purchase and sale to prevent buyers from walking away without financial consequences.

Refinancing a Real Estate Property in Cornwall

Use the equity in your home to improve its resale value. Refinancing your mortgage frees up cash for upgrades or renovations that can make your home be worth more. You pay for only the legal services you require when you hire an Axess Law cheap real estate lawyer in Cornwall.

We finalize mortgage refinancing documents so you can make the changes you want.

Get Started

About Cornwall

Ontario’s easternmost city, Cornwall is a commuter destination for Ottawa and Montreal workers who value the small town atmosphere and affordable housing. Urban jobs, concerts, and dining are a quick trip in via rail or bus, with New York State within easy reach. Brick and stone offices litter the downtown, and craftsman bungalows are snapped up as quickly as they come on the market. Journey back in time on the Cornwall Historic Walking Tour to admire the pen and ink work of local artist Pierre Giroux. Then drop a line in the rich waters of St. Lawrence River and Lake St. Francis, sit back, and enjoy the view.

Sign Legal Documents by Video

Your Axess Law real estate lawyer in Cornwall video conferences with you 7 days a week, at your convenience. Our online video calls and remote signing services take the work out of solving legal problems. Timely legal advice and low flat rate legal services — make your appointment by dialing 1-647-479-4118, toll free to 1-877-552-9377, or use our online booking form to find a remote real estate lawyer in Cornwall. Debit, cash, VISA or Mastercard accepted. Axess Law makes hiring a virtual real estate lawyer in Cornwall easy.

Some FAQs

Can I sue if my home is on a brownfield site and I didn't know it?

We get the worry and stigma homeowners feel when they unknowingly buy on a brownfield. Will you and your family be safe, and will your new home keep its value? We can tell you contaminated land, like a site of a gas station or industrial warehouse, is reused for housing more often than Ontarians know. Especially if you are new to an area, you may not be aware of what was on a site in past. By the time a developer has constructed homes, they have spent considerable time and money on soil and groundwater studies, and hazardous waste removal. Cornwall requires a record of site condition, environmental conformance documents, and certificate of property use for brownfield rehabilitation projects. Sites are inspected during and after construction. That said, the city offers incentives to clean up contaminated sites. So to answer your question, you can sue. But your legal claim may be an uphill battle if the developer, former owner, realtor, and city can show your fears are unfounded. Potential green buyers aside, your brownfield home should go up in value just like any Cornwall home.

Can I change a street address for superstitious reasons?

No guarantees. That’s up to the municipality, which makes buying a home with a street address you’re comfortable with a better bet. That said, changing your address can work if your subdivision is new and homes are still being built on your block. For example, if your new build is sandwiched between 11 and 17, with no one in between, you might make a case for exchanging 14 for a more desirable street number.

Can I stop construction that blocks my view?

Your right to protect sightlines depends on local zoning and bylaw regulations. View ordinances may prevent overgrown trees from obstructing your view. However, taking a neighbour to court to argue your view was blocked by a second storey addition or new carriage house can be expensive and time consuming. Consider spending the money on a new location you like better. You may have a case if you can prove your neighbour deliberately obstructed your view. For example, building a high fence or planting a tree out of spite because you have a history of unfriendly relations. Talk to a lawyer, or file a complaint with the city’s building and bylaw division. Report builders who work at unreasonable hours or leave a worksite unsafe.

What can be done about a messy or abandoned property?

Cornwall has property standards, but some things you cannot do. City bylaw officers can require neighbours to trim their grass to six inches, and no higher, or keep weeds under control. On the other hand, you’ll have to sue or settle your differences privately if your neighbour shovels snow onto your yard. Garbage, debris, and unsightly backyard sheds are not permitted on residential properties. Likewise, damaged or dilapidated buildings left vacant for more than 60 days must be secured to prevent illegal entry by people, rodents, or wildlife. Stray shopping carts can be reported to the business owner, or city if they are on municipal property.