Court-ordered Forced Sales

Court-ordered forced sales can help you deal with a spouse or divorced partner who insists on staying in matrimonial homes you want to sell. Don’t let real property issues hold you back in a marriage breakup. Axess Law refers you to trusted family law litigators who can assist you.

Ask Axess Law to review your marriage contract to see who gets the matrimonial homes if you separate or divorce. We can document your request to sell or share matrimonial homes in a draft separation agreement for your spouse’s lawyer to review. 

When your spouse is agreeable to a joint or uncontested divorce, we file legal documents necessary to end your marriage once and for all. We refer you to a family lawyer for property division advice if applications for court-ordered forced sales are in your future.

Asking consent for court related trials

Spousal Consent and Real Estate (Ontario)

Checked your tenancy status lately? Who owns property you bought as a couple or inherited depends on it, because a court could force you to sell your home when you separate or divorce.

Joint Tenants and Court-Ordered Forced Sales

You and your spouse are joint tenants if both of you have an equal share in property ownership. When both your names are on the title to a property, joint consent is needed for decisions such as selling or leasing homes you own together as a legally married couple. You can be forced by a court to sell a jointly owned property if you and your spouse can’t privately agree on how to resolve a property dispute.

Tenants in Common

On the other hand, if you have unequal shares —  you own 25% and he owns 75% — you are tenants in common.

Extended family or business partners you co-share mortgages with, or friends you borrowed from to make a deposit or down payment, may have an interest in how your matrimonial home is disposed of if you and your spouse separate or divorce. 

Selling could require you to negotiate with parents, in-laws, siblings, or third parties with an emotional or financial encumbrance on ownership of your home, or who are listed on title to the property.

That could complicate your ability to list and sell homes you no longer want or can afford. Axess Law’s real estate lawyers research the title to your property, and advise who’s on title before you pursue court-ordered forced sales. 

Selling After Marital Breakup

Legally married couples who separate have equal rights to live in shared matrimonial homes, or to ask the court for exclusive possession. You may be able to continue living there whether or not you have a formal separation agreement, are divorcing, or are no longer married. (Click here if you are living common law and want to separate.

Provided you live separate and apart in your home, and don’t do things as a couple such as dine as a family or go out together, sharing a home has no real impact on a divorce application. 

Who gets the matrimonial home in separation or divorce depends on your finances and family circumstances. Who has the most income or cares for children can decide if you get to keep a home, who pays the mortgage, and how property taxes and maintenance are paid. 

You’ll need a court order to sell matrimonial homes without your spouse’s consent, change locks, remove their possessions, or otherwise prevent your spouse from continuing to live there. See our tips on getting exclusive possession.

Court-ordered forced sales help right disputes when both of you want to keep matrimonial homes, but not live together. See how a forced sale works when it comes to determining your homes’ fair market value.

What Happens to Inherited Real Property

Inherited property is only shared if:

  • it was bequeathed to you as a couple, or
  • it was co-mingled with joint family assets.

For example, if an in-law willed real property to your spouse, but you contributed to its upkeep, you could be entitled to a share during divorce. Mortgage payments, property taxes, or home insurance you contribute to may qualify for equalization of net family assets when you divide marital property. 

Likewise, if your spouse sells inherited property and puts the proceeds in a joint bank account, you could be entitled to an equal share, even if you didn’t inherit the home yourself. 

We refer you to a mediator, arbitrator or family lawyer if you and your spouse don’t agree on how to split inherited property that has been co-mingled as joint assets. Court-ordered forced sales are a next step option if mediation is unsuccessful.

Forced Sale of Marital Property 

Court-ordered forced sales can free up matrimonial homes your spouse refuses to leave, but that you want to profit from or can no longer afford. Whether you need the income to pay debts or just want to take advantage of real estate markets, we make referrals to trusted legal partners who can assist you.

Professional advisors in real estate law (Ontario) help you apply for court injunctions when you want a spouse to:

  • move out, if that’s a financial option
  • keep your home presentable for open houses or private viewings
  • allow real estate agents to enter and show the home for sale
  • and transfer the title to a new owner.


Spousal Buyouts

Of course, your spouse could buy you out. But it must be for fair market value, and you must consent in writing.

Having full title to the property gives your spouse the right to do whatever they wish. They can sell matrimonial homes, hold for now, refinance mortgages or bequeath their home as they wish. 

Your rights are limited to a share of the proceeds if they sell and you apply for divorce.

Common questions you ask us about real estate law in Ontario.

talking to a lawyer for legal advice and action

Why You Need a Lawyer

Hiring an Axess Law family or real estate lawyer (Ontario) can take the confusion out of forcing the sale of matrimonial homes. 


Titles and Discharge of Mortgage

Our real estate lawyer (Toronto, Greater Toronto Area and Ottawa) service performs document searches to prove title to your home or transfer title when you sell. We liaise with your lender about your mortgage discharge. And negotiate with buyers’ lawyers to close the deal on time.


Removing Conditions in Sales Contracts

Axess Law finalizes your agreement of purchase and sale by confirming conditions of sale have been met. Home inspections, mortgage financing and delays to sell a home before buying yours can hold up offers to purchase. We prepare the paperwork for requests for extensions to closing dates and advise you if a real estate falls through, who gets the deposit.

Unsatisfactory home inspections can result in requests from buyers’ lawyers to reduce your price or make repairs before the purchase is complete. We negotiate solutions that keep your home sale on track.


Adjusted Statement of Accounts

Axess Law gives you a final statement of adjustments showing your share of the closing costs and our legal fees — no hidden fees or surprises. 


Affordable Real Estate Lawyers, Anywhere You Are 

Access lawyers for less in Greater Toronto Area, Ottawa, or anywhere in Ontario  when you buy, sell, or transfer property. Axess Law’s flat fee real estate lawyers are affordable, and our rates are all inclusive (excluding taxes, disbursements, and third-party charges). Axess Law offers you only the legal services you absolutely need. Your final invoice includes no surprises or hidden charges. Your itemized statement of adjustments is explained when we deliver it, and we answer any questions you have about it.

Contact through telephones too

Book Legal Appointments Online or By Phone

Operators at our 1-647-479-0118 lawyer line can arrange virtual or in person appointments to suit your schedule. Toll free calls accepted at 1-877-402-4207. Book online to save time. It takes just minutes to reserve your own appointment.