150,000+ clients have trusted Axess Law with their legal needs.

Name Change Applications

Change your name quickly and easily with Axess Law. Married, divorced, widowed or just plain tired of your name, making a legal name change is straightforward and inexpensive.

Once your Canadian name change application for Ontario is approved, you get a new birth certificate (if you were born in Ontario). Information about your parents can be added or a certified copy obtained for your use. 

And, you receive a certificate showing your previous and new names. You can use the certificate to change your name on your Ontario health card and other personal documents. See, that wasn’t hard!

Five Ways to Change Your Name

1. Marriage

Changing your name when you get married in Ontario is as uncomplicated as assuming your spouse's last name or hyphenating both your names. No paperwork or legalities. You can simply begin calling yourself by your spouse’s or hyphenated name after your marriage certificate is signed.

Proving Your Identity

Your government-issued marriage certificate and government documents that prove your identity, Canadian citizenship and Ontario residency can be used to get a new driver’s licence and OHIP card. We can help you obtain marriage certificates or other documents you need.

What Changes

Your birth certificate stays the same -- only your pre-marital name appears on it. You can sign legal documents with your new last name or use it on official, government-issued documents. Your new driver's licence can be used to update bank accounts or other business documents.

Resuming Your Former Name

You can resume your former surname if you divorce, your marriage is annulled or your spouse dies. Take your new driver’s licence, divorce papers or spouse’s death certificate and any documents you may have, such as a birth certificate with your former surname, to Service Ontario to get your driver's licence changed back.


No fees apply, but you may have to pay for new photo ID or a driver's licence.

2. Election to Change Surname

If that's not formal enough for you, you can elect to legally change your surname to your spouse's. Axess Law helps you complete an Ontario name change application form, called an election to change surname form. Changes apply to men and women. Bring a birth certificate to your appointment.


Fees are varied.

Legal Requirements to Change Your Name
  • Married or with a signed joint declaration of conjugal relationship - same-sex couples may also apply (are you cohabitating?)
  • Notified your partner or spouse of your name change
  • Satisfactory police record check

3. Election to Resume Former Surname

When you are recently divorced, had a marriage annulled or your spouse has died, you can voluntarily elect to go back to using your former surname. Name changes apply to men or women. Axess Law gives you an election to resume former surname form to complete. Bring your final divorce papers or spouse’s death certificate, change of name certificate and birth certificate to your appointment.

4. Change Your Adult Name

Professionals or anyone can opt for a legal name change for their own or business reasons. We help you complete an application for name change form. Our notaries witness and sign it in your presence.


Government fees may apply and vary, depending on why and when you change names.

Legal Requirements to Change Your Name

⦁    16 or older

⦁    Signed consent from all legal guardians if you are 16 to 17

⦁    Proof you have lived in Ontario for 12 months or more

⦁    Satisfactory police record check

Axess Law can complete forms for you. Bring your Canadian original or certified copy of a birth certificate, marital certificate or, for common law couples, joint declaration of conjugal relationship form. Proof of Canadian citizenship is required, along with a copy of name change certificates and court certified copies of court orders.

5. Change Your Child's Name

If you want your child to have a new name or the same last name as you, submit an application to change a child's name. Bring an original or certified copy of their birth certificate, proof of Canadian citizenship, a name change certificate and court certified copies of court orders. A police record check may be needed. We'll let you know if it is.

Fees may also apply, for the same reasons.  

Name Changes on Canadian Passports

Name changes must be made to passports too. Unless you update your ID and passport, you may be delayed, not allowed to travel or prohibited from entering some countries. Ensure travel bookings, hotels, airline or train tickets and your ID match your name on your passport.

Axess Law's remote notary publics witness and sign your name change application in minutes. Your completed application with your valid passport is processed by the Canadian government, Office of the Registrar General.

You can:

  • change given names by dropping or reversing their order
  • add a legal name change to a new or valid passport
  • include a new last name from marriage or other relationships
  • or add a new last name for adopted children.

Documents Needed for Passport Changes

Bring a valid passport if you have changed your name because of marriage, civil partnership or divorce. If your passport is expired, a passport application showing your new name will do. Ensure ID you provide with your application and proof of citizenship have the name you wish to use. Proof of citizenship must be in your new name, if it is updated. Otherwise, bring any current documents with you.

Depending on our situation, you may need a:

  • marriage certificate
  • common-law relationship certificate
  • court order issued in or outside Canada, such as a:
  • certificate to dissolve a registered common-law relationship
  • or resumption of surname certificate.

English and French versions are required. A guarantor's signature is not needed.

Divorce, Annulments or Death

If you are divorced or widowed or had your marriage annulled, a legal name change certificate, court order or adoption order verifying you have resumed using your old name is required.

Make Your Name Change Legal

Axess Law makes notarizing name change forms quick and convenient. Drop in to any of our Axess Law offices nearby you in Greater Toronto. We make day or evening appointments 7 days a week. Just dial toll-free to 1-877-402-4207 -- call 647-479-0118 in the GTA -- or use our easy online booking form to pick a time that’s right for you.


It was a pleasure working with Patricia from Axess Law. It was my first time purchasing a home, and was very nervous about every step in the process. I called and emailed Patricia several times with the silliest questions. She answered them all promptly, and provided the best customer service I could ask for. I would recommend Axess Law and particularly Patricia to everyone.

c Cindy Tran

In the past I had to make appointments and waited for days to see a lawyer. Now conveniently this office is at my neighborhood supermarket. I was able to walk in and get my documents signed in less than 30 minutes The staff are courteous and professional. I would recommend anyone. Prompt service.

Joy Stewart Joy Stewart

I am writing this review on behalf of my daughter who completed her first Real Estate condo transaction with AxessLaw. Besides just helping my daughter as a client, they helped her understand every single step involved in the process and the whole process was completed without any problems. I would recommend them to anyone looking for hassle free real estate transaction without thinking twice.

icon Irene Tucker


mortgage rates startup 50 award image
title insurance w 100 award image
will and testament fp award image
notary public rising award 2016 image
realty executives canadian lawyer award
best of legal advice Innovative Lawyers Award

Get Your Quote Now!

Download your free copy of the Legal Wills in Ontario guide!

By submitting your email, you agree to the privacy policy and terms & conditions.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Download Free Guide on Ontario Wills   Download My Copy