Child Travel Consent Letter

Get your documents notarized from the comfort of your home. We bring legal expertise to you in the most convenient and affordable way.

Who Needs a Child Travel Consent Letter?

Prevent travel delays and confusion by letting border officials know that your child has your consent to travel with a notarized child travel consent letter. A letter drafted by an Axess Law notary public simplifies your minor child entering or leaving Canada or foreign countries.

We recommend a consent letter for anyone under 18 travelling:

  • alone
  • with one parent or guardian
  • with friends or relatives
  • with a school, sports, church, or other groups.

How It Works


Book Your Appointment

Click on ‘Get Started’ to submit your details. Our client care team will contact you shortly to schedule your appointment.


Meet Your Lawyer

Our notary public verifies your identity using a valid government-issued photo ID.


Get Your Documents

We verify your signature and put our official seal or stamp on your documents. Our speedy notary services take just 5-10 minutes of your time.

Documents We Need

To notarize a document, bring the following to your online video call or in-person appointment with an Axess Law Ontario notary public.
  • Driver’s license
  • Canadian passport
  • Ontario photo card
  • Canadian citizenship card with photo
  • PR card with photo

Uses of the Letter

A child travel consent letter drafted by Axess Law simplifies your child entering or leaving Canada or foreign countries. If you are divorced or separated, or if your child is simply traveling without either parent, our letter explains that all legal guardians of your child have consented to the travel plans. Our letter is more than a quick note written by a parent, which is often questioned by border officials. our notarized document prevents worry and the potential that your child could be held up while traveling or prevented from entering another country.

Who Needs a Travel Consent Letter

Even when your child is just leaving Canada for a quick trip across the border with a grandparent or church group, a child travel letter of consent is recommended. For children with dual citizenship, getting written permission from your spouse or partner can make the difference between being stopped at a Canadian or foreign border and continuing on with their travels. While your child may be subject to other requirements like an entry or exit visa, a child travel letter of consent can make their journey easier. Plus, including specific travel dates in a letter of consent reduces the possibility your letter will be questioned. Plan well enough in advance to get all of their travel documents in order, including a letter of consent and copies of court orders or birth certificates.

Who Can Sign a Child Travel Consent Letter

Getting written consent for a child to travel can prevent unnecessary delays. Ask important people in your child’s life to sign a travel consent letter before they depart:

Parents and legal guardians they live with

Parents and legal guardians with court-ordered parenting time

Non-accompanying guardians or organizations with decision-making responsibility for your child

Group or church leaders accompanying your child

What Our Customers Say About Us

We are rated 4.8/5 based on 1,475 reviews.

Convenient Appointments

Make an appointment by calling +1.877.402.4207 or fill out our online booking form. Axess Law gives you the choice of booking an online or in-person appointment. Our lawyers are available 7 days a week, at times convenient for you. We can meet in person, by phone, email, or via a remote video call. In addition to these, there are 5 Axess Law offices located across the Greater Toronto Area – all with onsite parking or easily accessible by public transit.

Some FAQs

An affidavit is a sworn statement of facts about something you know or about something someone has told you. Affidavits can be used in court. A bank or other financial institution may ask you to make one to probate a next-of-kin’s estate. If you want to be married in a foreign country, you could be asked for an affidavit proving your marital status. A commissioner of oaths or notary public witnesses your affidavit by having you swear on a religious text approved by the Province of Ontario or affirm (state or declare) that the contents are true.

An affidavit is like testifying in court, except it’s written. Remember that you are giving a factual account of what you know or information someone has told you (include their name). You can make a joint affidavit with others, as long as you all sign it. Use the first person (“I saw”) and a single paragraph for each fact. Number the paragraphs and use sections and a table of contents if it is long. Give exhibits such as emails a letter to identify each paragraph, starting with “A” and going to “Z” or as many letters as needed. The notary or commissioner of oaths will do the rest.

You need an affidavit in support of a claim for custody. Having decision-making responsibility for your child enables you to be involved in health care, education, religious or spiritual choices, and extracurricular activities. Your affidavit informs the judge how you plan to care for your child and why it will benefit them. It includes details about any abuse or violence your family has suffered and who lives in your household. Inform the court if you have been involved in other court cases. If your child has special needs, include this in your affidavit. A notary public can witness, sign, and seal your affidavit for you.